Tips for Choosing and Replacing HRV/ERV Air Filters
What is a MERV Air Filter Rating?
When evaluating the best air filtration for occupants’ specific needs, it’s important to understand the MERV rating system. Zehnder offers a standard MERV 7/8 filter for its systems with optional MERV 13 and MERV 15 filters available based on occupants’ needs.
Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV) is a scale designed to rate the effectiveness of air filters.
5 HRV/ERV Filter Replacement Tips
- Make sure you locate your HRV/ERV unit in an easy to access place for changing filters
- Choose an HRV unit where the filters are easy to replace within the unit
- Frequently check the filters to see if the filters need to be replaced, approximately every 6 months. It can be more or less frequently depending on the amount of outdoor and indoor air pollutants.
- Unplug your HRV/ERV unit before changing the filters to prevent dust, bugs, or other small particles from being sucked into the unit
- For a more detailed explanation of choosing and replacing Zehnder filters, we recommend this Zehnder filter video. Replacement Zehnder filters can be purchased online at myzehnder.com.